Taco Salad


This edition of tasty Tuesday is the best sort of one because it involves #tacotuesday. Anyone who knows and loves me (and even those who don't love me) knows that the way to my heart is through tacos and really any sort of Mexican cuisine. The problem with Mexican food is that it can be very fat and carb heavy and a little low on nutritional value if you just grab something off a typical restaurant menu. So I make most of my taco feasting happen at home where I have control over the portions and what goes into the food. I eat this taco salad nearly once a week, if not more because LEFTOVERS am I right? It's clean, healthy and SO GOOD.

Taco Salad

1 cup of Shredded lettuce
1/4 cup of cilantro lime quinoa* and black beans
1/3 cup of clean guacamole that I top with maybe a tablespoon of shredded cheese
1/2 cup salsa (I prefer the fresher the better - look for the salsa stored in the refrigerated section)
3/4 cup grilled chicken (I will cook mine with homemade taco seasoning)
3/4 cup of sautéed peppers and red onion (I cut mine into strips and saute them in 1/2 tsp of olive or coconut oil and water)
1/4 cup of diced tomatoes
Garnish with fresh cilantro




The timing of cooking this meal is everything, so I typically start by having my guac already made. Then I kick off dinner prep by pan grilling my chicken and starting the quinoa at the same time. Once both of those are started I dice and cut up all my fresh veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and onions) and then throw the peppers and onions in a pan to start softening - I like mine a little blackened, so I leave them on there for a long while. Once everything is done I throw it all in a big bowl, garnish with a little fresh cilantro and dig in! I could honestly eat it nearly every day and be a happy woman!

What is your favorite meal? (Because if you haven't put together, this is kind of mine! Ha)


**Cook up 2 cups of quinoa, squeeze a lime in, 2 tablespoons of cilantro and sprinkle with kosher salt. Voila!

Portion Fix equivalents:
1 yellow, 1 blue, 1/2 purple (salsa), 1 red, 2 green

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.