It's a Garden Life

Gardening became one of my favorite parts about summer way back in high school when my piano teacher imparted a bunch of her green thumbed wisdom to me in the form of sweat and hauling manure. It's been a form of therapy for me ever since. I put my dirt loving ways on the back burner for a while after getting married because I didn't see how I could grow a garden in our current yard without ruining a large portion of land or spending a boatload of money. Enter Pinterest and all my wildest dreams of growing my own food seemed easier to grasp. 


So last year I did it! My sweet hubby built me a couple pallet beds, I gathered a few pots and a bunch of 5 gallon pickle buckets from chick-fil-a and made the dream happen. Though I am by no means an expert and still have a lot to learn, I thought this summer it would be super fun to share this year's garden experience or journey if you talk like a bachelor contestant with my readers.

This year I am planting quite a bit more than last year.
Four different kinds of tomatoes
Two different kinds of cherry tomatoes
Kaleidoscope Carrots
Spinach, Leaf Lettuce, and Russian Kale
Cilantro, Sweet Basil, Sage
Strawberries, Sugar Baby Watermelons
Marketmore Cucumbers
And Pumpkins

Whew. That's just my food. I'm also planting a few different kinds of flowers.

Bless it.

So two weeks ago a fellow foodie friend and I packed up offspring and went seed shopping together! Would you believe it if I said I had to put several things back once I realized I just wouldn't be able to handle that big of a garden? Goodness. I also spent that week pulling out old roots from my garden and getting pots and things ready. I'm not a professional gardener by any means - I did not test the PH of the soil because well, I wouldn't even know what to do with that information. I just readied it by loosening up and digging up roots and sticks and making sure I knew where my shovel was.

This week I got my egg cartons ready (free seed starters, folks) by labeling them, cutting them in half and filling them with seed starter mix. I started the seeds that said they needed started based on where I live and what time of year it is - information you can find on the back of your seed packets - PRAISE.
For me that meant starting my tomato seeds indoors and directly planting my leafy greens and carrots outdoors. In a few weeks I'll plant most of the remaining items which gives me ample time to make sure I have new soil bought, fertilizer made and more pallet beds made.

This is by far my favorite part of Spring... besides not having to dry my hair every day.

Here are a few photos of what my garden is looking like at this point: 

Last year's Russian Kale still hanging on!

Readying a place for my tomatoes


I always plant two seeds in each spot, just in case one seed is a dud.
So many yummy tomatoes this year!

I keep my tomato sprouts on an old cookie sheet to catch the water and place them in my sunniest window

Where my spinach and lettuce will sprout soon - the trellis seems to deter our neighborhood pest cat a bit.

Last year's strawberries all transplanted to one area.

My baby Sage.

Are you a gardener? What are your favorite foods to grow? What are you planting this year?

Tell me! I want to know!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You really ARE super woman! ;) Way to go! What an awesome project! You are the coolest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.