Favorite Children's Books


Happy National Read Across America Day!

To get excited about reading is something we've wanted for Belle since before she was even born. Both my husband and I being the opposite of the sit in the stillness and read type, we knew we'd have to put in the effort of setting aside time each day to purposefully read with Belle. Not surprisingly our dear babe gets things honest and is a doer and is constantly on the move. Though she loves books, she really only enjoys sitting still for one or two unless she's in just the right snuggly mood - then we can go through an entire shelf of books in one sitting. So I typically make it my habit (because I'm a great mom like that to have habits) to take reading breaks throughout the day to give her the more focused attention she wants and to pair that with a favorite book (Ya, I once took like a three month sabbatical from this so-called habit).


Additionally, in an effort to get her to spend time flipping through books on her own, we set up a reading corner for her a few months ago and have a space for a stack of her books in each room ( I promise this had nothing to do with the fact that they wouldn't all fit in one place). It always brings a smile to my face to walk in on her 'reading' to herself and she quickly learned a long time ago that I will usually stop what I'm doing if she asks me to read to her [true story]. All in all, we're trying here people and we're hopin' and prayin' that she'll love reading a little more than we do.

Here are a few of the books that come highly recommended by our in house expert, Belle:

1) Ten Tiny Toes by Caroline Jayne Church // This book is so cute and has helped reinforce Belle learning the names of her body parts. She and I will usually act out what the child in the book is doing and she LOVES it. We usually can't just read this once.

2) Baby Animals Touch and Feel by Make Believe Ideas // This has been a longtime favorite simply because she gets to touch fur and sandpaper and other weird things. Honestly I don't know a toddler that doesn't like touching things - all the things, so obviously this is a winner.

3) Where Is Baby's Belly Button by Karen Katz // This is one of those life-the-flap books and you'd think we were playing the best game ever the way she reacts to these kind of books. This one is by far her favorite of the sort simply because it revolves around babies.

4) Mice Squeak, We Speak by Arnold L Shapiro // This book is set up as a poem about animal noises and is just fun to read when you act out the sounds. It is the book that has helped Belle start picking up on and making animal noises. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.

5) Opposites and Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton // We honestly have almost all of Sandra Boynton's books because they are cute, simple and fun reads and Belle loves them. Perhaps it's the illustrations or the way we read them to her but nearly all of them make her giggle and that's a win in my book. (See what I did there)

6) The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen // This book has been Belle's favorite since the day she got it for her first birthday. It's about a very gloomy (personally I'm pretty sure he's depressed) fish just trying to find his purpose in life. She loves it. It's full of funny words and pretty illustrations. We've even started collecting the 'spin-off' stories of good ol' Mr. Pout because she loves him so much. Just go get it - you won't be disappointed.

What are some of your favorite children's books to read with your kids?
How do you make that time special?
I would LOVE to know! Please share!

1 comment:

  1. So ... are you okay if I steal this post too? I should just answer your posts by writing my own blog post. I'll be sure to mention that I got the idea from you. ;) Thanks for sharing Belle's favorite books ... we are working to instill a love for reading in Haddie too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.