Spring Cleaning // Decluttering



In honor of the month in which Spring begins, I thought I'd do a little "Spring Cleaning" post!
This one goes out to all the CLUTTER cloggin' up yo' life!
On just a normal day clutter bothers me, but once spring starts showing it's face, it's go time - and when I say go time, I mean it's time to take trash bags full of stuff to Goodwill or start a yard sale pile. This year I'm thinking I may do a yard sale - because ya know, I'm a mom now and it's what mom's do.

When I used to clean homes for a living one of the things that would be super annoying was having to work around clutter. Keeping a clean home just gets that much more bothersome when you have to work around tons of junk. Dusting rarely gets done because of knick knacks and gizmos. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a minimalist, I personally think clutter is suffocating and distracting in a home. Like seriously why do I need all my crap displayed at all times? Let's put some of it away, ya know?

So without further ado, here are some tips for purging each of the above mentioned areas!

CLOSETS & DRESSERS
Ok, so if you haven't worn it in a year - it's time to go. I'm probably the worst offender in this area because we have a pretty tight budget - I don't want to get rid of clothes when I don't know when the next time I'll have some shopping money is. So I keep it and it just sits there and before long I can't even resell it for a couple dollars because unlike Taylor Swift, it goes out of style. Pack these babies up and sell them or better yet, give them to your favorite charity!
If it has holes, stains, rips in places it shouldn't or the armpits just smell even when it's just been cleaned - THROW-IT-OUT. Like don't give it away - throw it out. If you want to give something to people in need of clothes, give them your gently used clothes that you're just not feelin' anymore - don't give them these - that's just rude.
If you have seven pairs of pajama pants or 15 different sleep shirts pick out your favorites and load the rest up for Goodwill. There is no reason to not be able to shut your dresser drawers because they are full of clothes not being worn.

JUNK DRAWERS
These things get their name honest. Some of the stuff in them belongs in the garbage. I go through our two junk drawers at least every few month because they get filled with everything from batteries to coupons to scrap pieces of sandpaper. Throw away what is trash and then find a home for everything you don't need at the ready.

MOVIES, MUSIC, BOOKS
I don't know about you, but even if you don't pay for something like Netflix - you probably have access to someone's, am I right? Most of the movies in your home are easily accessible somewhere that doesn't involved taking up physical space in your home. Same with CD's and books. I only buy CD's now if it's something really really special - otherwise it's bought in MP3 form to once again save physical space. When it comes to books I'm the same way, I'll buy it if it's something special but most books can be found in a library or you can borrow them from friends. Gather up what you're not watching, listening to, or reading anymore and take them to a used bookstore - if you're in Nashville, McKay's is the only way to go!

CRAFT SUPPLIES
If you're pinteresty at all, you've probably got a stash of stuff from projects you've started. I for one have boxes & drawers full of things from glass jars, sharpies, lace ribbons, scrapbook paper, etc. Do yourself and favor and clean out your craft stock a bit. Save what you need and give the rest away.

TOILETRIES & BEAUTY SUPPLIES
Though I don't really do it anymore, I used to be that person that bought every beauty supply I saw on sale in Target that week - just to try it out. So I still have quite the stash of lotions and "beachy waves spray". So if you're anything like me in that way, it might behoove you to thin out your stock. See if one of your friends might want to try that shampoo your tried out and decided it wasn't what you were looking for.

TOYS & GAMES
This isn't just for those with kids. We had quite the stock of big kid toys (game systems, board & card games, etc) before having Belle and I've always tried to keep the ones that are commonly used and get rid of the ones that aren't. This spring I'll also be going through Belle's small stock of toys and boxing up the ones she doesn't play with and storing them for whenever the next baby needs them.

Ahhh, doesn't that feel good? Don't you feel lighter? Your home more open & airy?
You can also declutter your cleaning supplies by consolidating those that are the same, your linen closet by purging it of old musty items, your pantry of expired foods - there are plenty of places in a home that can be decluttered!

What would you add to your declutter-ing list?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.