Tips & Tales ~ Cleaning Siding

It's been a while since I've done a "cleaning post". I think it's because I've been too busy actually doing the cleaning lately. This year I've set out to make my yard and outdoor look more of a little retreat than just another yard in the ghetto. Earlier this year I painted all the doors on my shed and house a pretty blue to go with out yellow siding. I plan on painting the mailbox in the next week or two to match. While I've been working outside more frequently than usual, I noticed up along my gutter line that mold [pink mold even] was forming on my siding. As well as dingy green spots all over the rest of the house. Well that wouldn't do, I thought to myself. So I set out to find something that wouldn't take too much scrubbing but also wouldn't harm the siding at all. Guess what works? VINEGAR.

Vinegar is as much my friend when it comes to cleaning as Baking Soda is. I use Vinegar on floors, to kill weeds [another post on that in the future], to clean my bathtub, and a whole hoard of other things.

Before shot - notice all the nastiness?

After Shot - SUPA CLEAN

Pretty great, huh? And it came off SUPA EASY. All I did was get a simple kitchen scouring pad and fill a bucket with warm water and vinegar. I soaked the pad and started scrubbing, rinsing it out, and scrubbing again. I then would rinse the siding off after every few feet so the dirt & mold wouldn't dry on the siding again. It worked out because I'd have to move the ladder every few feet too, so I would just get another bucket of water and splash it up. You could make it even easier if you had a hose - but my hose is just short enough it didn't reach the front of my house.
Just like that and everything was clean. I had a friend sweetly do the back siding of my house when I ran out of time before Barry got back, so now the siding looks brand new!

Don't forget to check out the rest of my cleaning tips up in the "tips & tales" section of the blog.
What are some of your favorite outdoor cleaners / projects?

8 comments:

  1. You did a fine job on cleaning that nasty mold on your sidings. As you might know, molds are more than just ugly spots – they can pose serious health threats to you and your family. By the way, I am seriously hoping that you wore a safety mask while cleaning them off. If not, please make sure to do so next time.
    CM Hazard Control

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! My mom says vinegar is the answer to everything ... she uses it to clean all kinds of things! I love the creative ways you use to spruce up your cute, little abode.

    Until we live in our own place (not an apartment), I don't have any cleaners or projects ... but I am excited to keep decorating the inside of our cute, little apartment. Pictures and Scripture galore! And I have a few fun ideas for painting some things on some canvases eventually ... inspired by your "Bind my wandering heart to Thee" canvas in your living room. :D

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ob well done on cleaning your sidings! It looked quite pleasant after the clean up. Another cleaning agent that works for me is a mixture of water and laundry detergent. With this solution, I scrub and wash away the dirt and debris from the sidings. But if it is beyond cleaning, I will most likely replace it with a new one.

    Keven@SouthWestExteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very helpful, Emily, particularly the siding part. In my opinion, it's the hardest part to clean. I normally hire someone to clean it up because the first time I used a pressure washing on my siding, it ended up not so good. But with your tips, I guess I have to give it a try sometimes. Thanks for sharing. Kylee @ ReNewCrewClean.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how much better the siding looks compared to no cleaning! You really had to scrub that out, huh? I'm looking for ways to get my siding cleaner like this. We may even just get new siding altogether!
    Celine | http://www.a1roofingandsidingofli.com/roofing-and-siding-of-long-island-services.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Celine! It was really easy, I would try cleaning it before getting new just to see if it can be cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom also says that vinegar is the answer to everything. We
    even used it on a messy windshield. I was considering power washing my siding. However, I wasn't sure if the water pressure would damage the siding. Would it?
    http://www.mcmhome.com/siding.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.