A note to my generation about Church going

So this is a hard post to write.... I've been struggling with writing this for a matter of months to be quite honest....
For two reasons:
One being that I had to make sure that i wasn't just writing this out of frustration or unclear motives...
Two being that i could potentially and almost certainly hurt the feelings of friends & offend people....

But since I've made sure of the former and i know my motives are to only share my heart on this particular matter, hopefully the latter is useless worrying.

Ok. Here we go...

There is a disturbing trend I've been noticing for the past year or so that i have yet to fully understand, but it breaks my heart and in truthfulness makes a little steam start rising depending on the individual situation....

MY GENERATION IS NON-EXISTENT IN THE CHURCH

Barry and I have visited a large number of churches over the past two years since being married and we have yet to meet ONE person our age.  There is a huge disconnect - a huge gap stretching from high school to people in their 30's. I thought maybe i was imagining it until last week at church an elder quite literally confirmed my suspicions. The part I can't grasp is I grew up in the church, always surrounded by peers... I personally know a TON of young adult professing Christians.

SO WHERE ARE YOU?
WHEN DID BEING PART OF A CHURCH BECOME OPTIONAL FOR OUR GENERATION?

I'm seriously asking... if you have a good reason, I truly want to hear it - and not so i can judge it, but because I whole-heartedly want to understand WHY. Because I believe the Bible teaches that if you are a professing Christian, you are to be part of a fellowship of believers, leaning on one another, teaching and learning from one another, holding one another accountable, serving one another and others around you as a BODY.

God set the church up. 
It IS part of His plan for Christians to be part of a Bible believing/teaching church.
Church isn't really an option.
 WHY IS DISSING THE CHURCH SO POPULAR?

I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. The church is not perfect.. Anything to do with mankind will never be perfect. That's part of life ever since Adam and Eve made the choice to go against God's plan. But the church is a place we're to be, a support system we're supposed to have, a body that won't work properly if it doesn't have all it's vital parts. The American church has a huge aching hole right now.... one that our generation needs to step up and fill! God's vision for what the church is supposed to be will be much closer to happening if we as a generation find a Bible believing/teaching church and start going, start serving, start getting involved, start using our gifts and talents to fill gaps, start getting to know people and building relationships with believers in every walk of life.

I have been struggling and struggling to feel like I belonged in a church because of the non-existence of my generation being present. God's shown me that those are the wrong reasons to wait to plant myself somewhere. I do wish and pray for my generation to stop making excuses and stop living a mediocre/moral life and strive to start living by the principles God left us in His word. But i can't wait any longer for my generation to do that... being part of a church family is far too vital to life as a Christian.

Like i said before, i get that the American church is broken, but how is it ever going to mend if we don't step in and start doing what we're supposed to be doing? The church needs us just as much as it need anyone else!

 STOP DITCHING+DISSING THE CHURCH AND START HELPING+LOVING THE CHURCH


4 comments:

  1. i couldnt agree with this anymore if i tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that makes me happy to hear... i thought that might be the case! ;)

      Delete
  2. You are correct Emily. But my generation owes yours a great apology. We have created a place far from what God intended. We have made it about ourselves instead of loving God and loving others. We would rather argue about worship style than reach out to our neighbors. We would rather debate a fine point of the theology of Paul than follow after the life of Jesus. As you move forward, we ask you to forgive us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mr Dan! I really appreciate these words...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.