introvert : prepare to be unleashed

I'm an old school kind of girl in so many ways.... but the one that keeps making itself known recently is that of 'community'. Pastor Barry [no not my husband... haha] talked about 'Deepening Community' at church yesterday, so it's been on my mind even more.
Now.... I'm seriously one of the most introverted/shy people i know.... which some may argue, but trust me - I am. I feel so uneasy in big groups of people i don't know very well.... i don't know how to 'get to know' people. It still amazes me that my close friends and I are so close - i think it's because most of them are extroverts, so they had no problem taking the reigns when we first met and once i was comfortable with them.... well. i don't know what happened - i must've started talking or something... haha.
With all this being said [even though it seems totally off topic].... I have a huge desire to build a sense of 'community' with those i come in contact with, but sometimes get too tongue tied and introverted to do so. Like I really want to bake some cookies and introduce myself to the neighbors that moved in next door over a month ago.... but can't bring myself to do it because i'm so terrible at conversing sometimes [and small talk - just SHOOT me now!]. A perfect example is the Ladies Night I went to with church tonight.... i showed up and there were SO MANY people i didn't know, that i couldn't think of a thing to say to anyone. So I went and sat next to Mrs Pat and smiled at everyone like I belonged there, even though i felt totally out of place. haha. But seriously,  i want to build bonds with people who wouldn't normally be in my circle.... i just have such a difficult time doing so, because of my introverted ways. GAH. It's SO frustrating sometimes all of the time!

Anyway.... enough about my personal weirdness.
I wanted to share with you the notes from the message - because they are fantastic reminders of how to lovingly serve and build bonds within the family [community] of Christ and even outside of it:

  • Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves - Rom 12:10
  • Live in harmony with one another - Rom 12:6
  • Accept one another - Rom 15:7
  • Instruct one another - Rom 15:14
  • Greet one another with a holy kiss - Rom 16:16
  • Agree with one another - 1 Cor 1:10
  • Serve one another in love - Gal 5:13
  • Be patient and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other - Eph 4:32
  • Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs - Eph 5:19
  • Submit to one another out of reverence to Christ - Eph 5:21
  • Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another - Col 3:13
  • Teach and admonish one another with all wisdom - Col 3:16
  • Encourage one another and build each other up - 1 Thess 5:11
  • Live in peace with one another - 1 Thess 5:13
  • Try to be kind to each other and to serve everyone else - 1 Thess 5:15
  • Spur one another on toward love and good deeds - Heb 10:24
  • Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other - James 5:16
  • Love one another deeply, from the heart - 1 Pet 1:22
  • Live in harmony with one another - 1 Pet 3:8

Man.... i love it when a message rings so true in a practical way! Just think about if we were to put this stuff into practice daily... how much closer knit would the family of God be... i think it would resemble more of what God had in mind in the first place.

Later, after my sunday afternoon nap [yes, i am proud to be THAT person] I was puttering around on Pinterest and found this:


Like I said.... I'm old fashioned. I love everything on this list [well except for the block party.... a little too crazy for this introverted soul]. I think of the Andy Griffith show when i read this or think of the neighborly/community type things i'd like to do..... I still hope to one day be that little old lady that will make lemonade and cookies for the kids that will come over and do my yard work [call me corny if you will... i don't care].... haha - just got to learn how to get past the first few lines of any conversation..... oh goodness. So if i start acting weirder than usual here soon.... you now know why... haha

Have a lovely Tuesday folks!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Another confirmation why we're bosom buddies. ... I'm going through this too. The longer I live, the more I realize that I'm not as extroverted as I thought I was or as much as I'd LIKE to be. Over the past ... almost a year, I've felt the same way! I've been almost hiding at church because I don't know what to say to people. I've been sitting down in my seat and putting my face in my Bible or running to someone I know well at church instead of getting up and greeting people during offering time. Man. It's been rough. And now, I'm out of practice. I keep telling myself I need to talk to people. I need to meet at least one new person each week. Something. Anything! But I haven't been able to get myself to do it yet. Man, it stinks. I want to be an extrovert - all the time ... but especially with my church family! Man, oh man.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.